In recent months, storms have ravaged Southern California. While these storms have helped ease our state’s drought conditions, they have also endangered lives, caused property damage, and led to widespread flooding.
Unfortunately, according to reports, it appears that more storms are on the way. So, if you’re a business or commercial property owner, you need to be worried about flood damage impacting your business and/or damaging your landscaping.
5 Landscaping Tips That Can Help Protect Your Commercial Property from Flood Damage
There are landscaping designs and techniques that can help prevent your property from suffering flood damage or at least minimize the degree of flood damage your commercial property suffers. Here are five landscaping tips to help you protect your commercial property from flood damage:
- Build a Rain Garden – Rain gardens are shallow depressions created to absorb rainwater and runoff from your gutters and downspouts. They can help prevent erosion and control the flow of rainwater and runoff on your property.
- Make Sure Your Landscaping Slopes Away from Your Business and Property – To protect your business and landscaping from flood damage, make sure the ground slopes away from your property in all directions. This involves finding the high and low points of your land and using extra dirt to create a slope. It's worth considering hiring a commercial landscaping professional to help with the project, because they will ensure that any buried phone or power lines aren’t damaged during the process.
- Install Retaining Walls – A retaining wall helps keep the foundations of any structures on your commercial property safe during times of heavy rainfall and floods. Retaining walls can divert water away from your business and landscaping, which helps prevent and/or limit flood damage.
- Add Native Plants – By incorporating native plants into your landscape design, not only can you prevent soil erosion due to heavy rainfall and flooding, but you can also boost the efficient drainage of rainwater. These plants have evolved to thrive in their natural environment, making them perfectly suited to tackle such challenges. Plus, incorporating indigenous plants can add a unique and beautiful touch to any outdoor space.
- Install Drainage Areas – During heavy rainfall, flood damage and erosion can happen near paved areas on your commercial property, such as driveways, walkways, and parking lots. However, there are solutions. You can protect your property from flood damage and erosion by adding a reliable drainage system that fits your landscaping style. Channel drains, pavers, and other landscaping-based options can aid in protecting your landscaping from being washed away.
Stay Green Can Help You with Commercial Landscape Design and Drainage Solutions
If you are a business or commercial property owner in Southern California who is worried about protecting your landscaping from flood damage, Stay Green is here to help. Our commercial landscaping experts have been helping businesses in Southern California protect their property from flooding and other weather events, including droughts, since 1970.
We understand what it takes to keep your commercial property’s landscaping looking its best no matter what Mother Nature throws at it. To learn more about how we can help you, check out our photo gallery and customers’ reviews.
Give us a call at (800) 741-9150 or reach out to us online today to discuss your situation with our experienced commercial landscapers.