While Southern California is known for its picture perfect weather, in reality, we have good days and bad days just like anywhere else. While our good days are really good and tend to outnumber our bad days, our bad days can be particularly nasty. When storms hit our area, they can cause a great deal of damage, especially to landscaping that isn’t properly protected. If you haven’t prepared your commercial property for stormy weather, it is unfortunately only a matter of time before your property sustains storm damage.
What Can I Do to Protect My Business’s Landscaping from Storm Damage?
There are several ways you can protect your business’s landscaping from storm damage. A few of the most common ways to protect your commercial property from storm damage include the following:
- Tree Location – Trees on your property should be located away from power lines and buildings to prevent them from causing major damage if high winds cause them to fall over or break branches off the trees that can fall on a power line or hit a building.
- Regular Maintenance – Keeping up with regular landscape maintenance throughout the year can ensure that your property is in the best shape possible to handle big storms. This includes mowing, pruning, debris and brush clearance, fertilization, mulching, seasonal cleanups, pest control, and more.
- Wind-Resistant Trees – If possible, it can be an excellent idea to plant wind-resistant trees on your property. These types of trees are less likely to blow over or lose limbs during storms with high winds.
- Pruning – Tree care is a must if you want to protect your property from storm damage. One of the best ways to do this is to prune damaged, dead, or low-hanging branches/limbs on trees throughout your business’s property. Those types of tree limbs are the most likely to fall or get torn from trees by high winds during storms. When branches fly off or fall from trees, they can damage power lines, vehicles, and buildings. More importantly, they can strike and injure people.
- Grouping Trees – Planting trees in groups can help make them more wind-resistant, which can not only protect the trees, but also protect areas of your property near the trees from wind and storm damage.
- Drainage – Maintaining proper drainage on your property is one of the most important ways to protect it from storm damage. Throughout the year, you want to keep an eye out for areas of your property that don’t drain well. You may notice standing water and even ponding in these areas. When you spot areas like that, you need to act quickly before the next storm arrives, because those are the areas where there could be flooding. Having drainage problems on your property handled before a storm arrives can help you avoid flood damage and save you money and headaches.
Ready for the Next Big Storm? If Not, Contact Our Experienced Commercial Landscaping Experts Today
During our nearly 55 years in business, Stay Green has seen every type of weather that Southern California has to offer. We understand what it takes to protect landscaping in this area from storm damage. If your business’s landscaping has sustained storm damage in the past, or you just want to be prepared for the next big weather event, contact us. As our customers’ reviews prove, we can help you with all your commercial landscaping needs.
Give us a call at (800) 741-9150 or contact us online today to speak with our experienced commercial landscaping specialists about your situation.